Friday 3 April 2015

End of March, start of April

And the moment when I realise I didn't actually blog for the whole of March. Oops. I'm sure I've been doing something productive in the sewing room, though my attentions have sometimes been elsewhere.  I haven't been buying fabric, as I'm back on the fabric fast wagon for now. But I've been on the Whole 30 again so probably spending more time in the kitchen. And I've even been exercising for the first time in about 6 years! But my littlest is now at that age (two) where she doesn't actually let me achieve anything at all, so sewing time has felt pretty minimal lately.

However. I have been on a Siblings Together mission. For anyone who has somehow missed my lengthy ramblings on this topic, here's a reminder about why the charity is so important and what quilts have to do with it!

Siblings Together is a UK based charity which aims to build and nurture relationships between siblings separated by the UK care system. There are over 40,000 children in care in the UK who are living apart from a brother or sister. They could be in foster care, in adoptive families, or with their birth family. Among other activities, the charity hosts yearly residential summer camps for children aged 7-18 years. As part of these camps, the children are each given a quilt. A precious handmade item, infused with love and memories of time spent with their sibling. 

There is a huge need for these quilts. The charity are expecting to welcome up to 100 children to summer camps this year, so 100 quilts are needed and what we are aiming for! 

There are lots of ways to get involved - check out the Flickr group. And there's a running total thread in that group too so if you have finished a quilt for ST and want it to be added to the total please pop on and log it! We are now up to 31 finished quilts, so still a long way to go!




So, I've been making STQB bee blocks:



Making blocks to send to others who are collecting for ST quilts. To Mary:

Five #siblingstogetherhsh blocks for @maryemmens  Hobby horse not included 😁 #siblingstogether

And to Jo:

Sorbet churn dash blocks for @rosedahlia #siblingstogether


And working with LeedsMQG to put together at least ten quilts for the charity. We collected girly home sweet home blocks from all over the quilting community:





And pooled our own donations of fabric and scraps.

The tip of the scrap iceberg!

I have one finish, my own STQB quilt from December.


It's a finish! #siblingstogether #stqb #finishit2015 #quilt #quilting #sewing #handmade


And two waiting more to piece/baste/quilt/bind.


In other sewing news I've been participating in the LeedsMQG round robin.







Made a teeny bit of progress on my Aviatrix medallion.



And even recovered my filthy ironing board!



And yet haven't achieved everything on my Q1 FAL list! Off to do a round up of that now.

And I should really lay out my April goals too, which mostly consist of "finish all the quilts".

In the meantime, I'll link up with Lynne:



Fresh Sewing Day



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thank you for your comment :-)